Practical Approaches to Handling Pressure
1 Day Course
To equip participants with a choice of tools and techniques they can use to reduce stress and boost their wellbeing. Delegates gain an understanding of stress and its effects to help them develop strategies to cope with stress related issues.
The Practical Approaches to Handling Pressure course enables participants to understand the meaning of stress and how to differentiate it from healthy pressure. They will learn to recognise the signs and sources of stress; assess their wellbeing and work-life balance; understand the importance of individual factors such as perception; and discover how to apply relevant coping strategies.
The course is practical and engaging and includes a variety of individual exercises. Delegates will also benefit from revisiting the exercises after the course when they have the time and space to think fully about their life and the issues raised.
- Course Duration: 1-day course
- Course Capacity: 12 delegates max (for optimum benefit)
- Availability: All our courses are delivered in-house throughout the UK and Europe
- Customisation: The content can be tailored to meet an organisation’s individual requirements
Who Is It For?
Anyone in the organisation would benefit from Practical Approaches to Handling Pressure.
If managed well, pressure is extremely positive as it provides the incentive and motivation that enables us to meet our targets and achieve professional satisfaction. However, if managed badly, pressure can become excessive which can lead to a reduction in motivation, poor performance and a threat to our health and work-life balance.
- Understand what is meant by stress as opposed to healthy pressure
- Learn to recognise the signs of stress at an early stage
- Provides an opportunity to assess wellbeing and the work-life balance
- Highlights the importance of perception and other individual factors
- Identifies a variety of coping strategies that can be used to deal with stress-related issues
- Opportunity to put together a personal action plan based on material covered during the course
Section 1: What is Stress?
- Human function curve
- How to recognise signs of stress
Section 2: Personal wellbeing and the work-life balance
- Wellbeing inventory
- How to increase feelings of wellbeing
- Activities to ensure a rounded lifestyle
Section 3: Sources of stress at work and at home
- Identification of pressure points
- The importance of control
- How relevant support can help
Section 4: The effects of individual factors
- The way we look at life
- Challenging limiting beliefs
- The rules we live by
Section 5: Some useful coping strategies
- Discussion of a variety of practical strategies
Section 6: Your action plan
- Identification of a source of pressure and application of strategies to deal with it
- An opportunity to apply what has been covered in the course
Delegates receive a comprehensive course workbook and a relaxation techniques Audio Download.
The Relaxation Techniques Audio Download
- Breathing: slowing & deepening the breathing to slow down brain waves (like a car going from high revs to idling)
- Breathing & Relaxing the Muscles: muscles, especially neck, shoulders, back and limbs develop muscle tension as the day goes by
- Breathing for Energy (Paced Breathing): this exercise uses the diaphragm to circulate the lymph fluid to remove the waste products produced by cells
- Breathing & Walking: allows you to relax when walking to and from car, an appointment, a shop, etc. and also increases awareness of the Present Moment and slows down the perception of time
- The Inner Voice – accessing your beliefs and inner strength
- The Tropical Island – a 20 minute deep relaxation exercise to help you to switch off after work
- The Forest with the Balloon: a relaxation and offloading technique
Optional Follow-up emails
To help embed the knowledge learned on the day we can provide delegates with follow-up emails revisiting the areas covered on the training course and signposting where to find further information and resources. The final email can include a brief questionnaire to evaluate the effectiveness of the training course.
Discuss aspects of this course with us
If you would like to discuss any aspect of our Practical Approaches to Handling Pressure training course, please call us on 0131 476 5027 or drop an email to – [email protected]
- Stress Management Training for Managers
- Stress Management Techniques
- Mindfulness Training for Performance and Wellbeing
What people say about In Equilibrium
“This course was exceptionally well-presented, and managed to be both informative and effective, with a minimum of jargon. The afternoon was very useful in helping to identify and focus on the real causes of stress, and how to alleviate their effects.”
“I can honestly say that the Stress Management training day our SMT participated in recently was one of the most thought-provoking and impactful events of this nature that I have attended.”