Overcoming Unconscious Bias Training
Since the Equality Act came into force in 2010, most organisations have reviewed the impact on the way that they do business. The Act gives people legal protection from discrimination in the workplace and in wider society but each business has to decide which aspects of the legislation are most relevant to its core functions. Although entitled an ‘Equality’ Act, its provisions actively promote diversity and inclusion by outlawing discrimination.
This sounds straightforward, but as time goes by it has become clearer that dismantling discrimination cannot be done just by means of legal enforcement. Even if people do not consciously intend to discriminate against individuals, they nevertheless do so because of a lack of awareness of their own biases. This training course will help participants to discover for themselves the invisible barriers raised by their own minds and how they can counteract such natural tendencies.
- Course Duration: 1-day course
- Course Capacity: 12 delegates max (for optimum benefit)
- Availability: All our courses are delivered in-house throughout the UK and Europe
- Customisation: The content can be tailored to meet an organisation’s individual requirements
Who Is It For?
The Overcoming Unconscious Bias training course is particularly suitable for those in positions of leadership who need to understand hidden factors that contribute to the success or failure of organisational policy and strategy. It will consolidate their experience and understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion issues, acting as a revision course for them as necessary.
Other managers – particularly those involved in recruitment, selection and promotion – will benefit from time spent analysing their motives in decision-making; the course can also be targeted at employees, in particular those who have a front-line customer service role.
- Provide the organisation with the most advanced approach to equality and diversity workplace issues
- Allow individuals to gain insight into their own unconscious biases and understand how these can be managed effectively within their own roles
- Facilitate the human aspects of project management
- Help to develop self and organisational awareness skills that can easily be transferred to other aspects of the business
- Act as a ‘revision’ course for equality and diversity issues with the inclusion of the latest developments in legislation, case law and business
What exactly is Unconscious Bias?
A brief explanation of unconscious bias, with workplace examples
The Role of the Brain in Cognitive Biases
A layperson’s introduction to neuroscience and the various types of cognitive biases
The Impact on Decision-Making of Unconscious Bias
How research has highlighted the manifestation of unconscious bias in areas of decision-making relevant to business and the working environment
Unconscious Bias and Equality Legislation
Responsibility for unconscious bias: does ‘blissful ignorance’ of one’s own biases provide exemption from culpability for discrimination?
Turning Unconscious Bias into an Organisational Asset
The business case for meeting the challenges of unconscious bias head on
How to Reduce Unconscious Bias at the Organisational Level
Strategies that can be applied to all organisational activity
What Individuals can do to Lessen the Impact of Their Unconscious Biases
Self-assessment methods and ‘coping strategies’ for individuals to consider
Discuss aspects of this course with us
If you would like to discuss any aspect of this training course please contact Alastair Taylor on Tel: 0845 548 8054 or e-mail: [email protected]