It may be cold outside but our Winter newsletter aims to give a rosy glow
Welcome to our Winter newsletter which includes:
- Details of a new facilitated 2-hour course to stimulate joint action planning within teams working together in a virtual environment
- Some tips to help calm us when we feel anxious
- An update on our recent blog articles
- Trainer and coach, Dr Karla Benske answers a burning question relating to unconscious bias training
- Links to helpful resources for managers and staff on a variety of wellbeing topics
- We end with an article which reminds us of some of the amazing acts of kindness, compassion and empathy from around the world last year
As regular readers will know, we provide many free wellbeing in the workplace resources.
A recent addition is a useful infographic created by trainer Michelle Spirit entitled, “A Managers Guide to Preventing and Managing Mental Health Issues in the Workplace“.
It provides a helpful reminder of the stress bucket model and the internal and external factors which determine both the size of an individual’s bucket and what fills it. There are also practical tips to reduce its level to ensure it doesn’t overflow.
A 2-hour facilitated live online course to stimulate joint action planning within teams who are working together in a virtual environment – increasing communication between, and support for, each other.
The course trainer, Dot Gourlay has shared some thoughts as she reflects on the virtual training she has delivered with positive outcomes for teams. The article appeared on our blog in November and you can read it here.
Several articles have been added to our blog since our last newsletter, we highlight a selection of them here but please do view our blog pages to see them all:
• A Mindful Approach to Acceptance
• FACTS – an acronym for good mental health in difficult times
• Self-care for HR Professionals
• Read me, Think about me, Watch me … 3 Resilience Tips
A Calming Tip
This edition’s tip provides a selection of calming approaches to try if you feel anxious or overwhelmed, from quick 30 second fixes to ones which may take around half an hour.
Read it here
Visit our tips archive
Ask The Expert
In our latest Ask the Expert Q&A, corporate trainer and coach Dr Karla Benske comments on a recent report which states that unconscious bias training does not change behaviour.
View this edition’s resources for employers and employees on the topics of:
• energising habits
• domestic abuse
• investing in mental health
• taking sleep seriously
“I wish I could show you, when you are lonely or in darkness, the astonishing light of your own being.”
Hafez, Persian Poet
“Diversity is being invited to the party, inclusion is being asked to dance.”
Verna Myers, Diversity Advocate
Other short reads which may be of interest
• 8 Ways Managers Can Support Employees’ Mental Health
• 4 simple stress relief tactics from around the world, from eating spicy food to forest bathing
• The Impact of Covid-related stress on employee engagement – “Research from Exeter University shows that tailoring training and recruitment to help managers with empathy, integrity and trustworthiness has a profound impact on the productivity of the company. ”
• How to Strengthen your personal resilience
• What’s the role of the manager in a hybrid working world?
… and finally …
It is easy to believe that good news is in short supply at the moment. However, the team at Happiful have come up with 35 uplifting stories and pieces of positive news from 2020.
Whether you scroll through them or choose to look into some further, it is good to be reminded there were some amazing acts of kindness, compassion and empathy throughout the world last year.
Thank you for taking the time to read our newsletter. We are always delighted to hear from our readers, so if you would like to share your comments or suggestions with us, please don’t hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
And if you would like future editions of our quarterly workplace wellbeing newsletter to be sent directly to your inbox, you can sign up here.