“Diversity: the art of thinking independently together”
What does a diverse workplace look like?
A workplace where senior management are committed to ensuring that every single employee is valued for who they are and what they do and ensuring that everyone has the same development opportunities regardless of, for instance, their age, disability, ethnicity, gender, geographic location, political persuasion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, race or religion.
The importance of a diverse workplace
Some of the advantages of creating a diverse workplace include:
- a wider range of ideas, energies, skills and resources
- attracting a wider talent pool
- becoming an employer of choice with a higher profile both within your community and your industry
- a more representative and impartial workforce
- a raised morale amongst the workforce leading to increased motivation and productivity
- a feeling of empowerment amongst employees due to promotion opportunities being based on ability with no discrimination
Promoting equality and diversity at work
There are many approaches an organisation can take including:
- producing and circulating an Equality and Diversity policy to everyone
- creating an Equal Opportunity policy, setting targets and devising an action plan
- running training courses for employees and managers in equality and diversity
- ensuring all the workforce understand the possible consequences of discrimination and that any complaints or grievances concerning equality or diversity matters are handled correctly
- offering flexible working, time off for religious holidays, career breaks, considering childcare facilities and reasonable adjustments for those with disabilities
- treating everyone as an individual and always with dignity and respect
How In Equilibrium can help
Training in Equality and Diversity needs to engage those attending, research has shown that it is most effective when it is based on real life scenarios. Our approach is to offer courses which are highly interactive, supportive and participative, focusing on practical issues encountered in the workplace.
Our specialist trainers bring the subject alive and we can offer both training courses and consultancy to those promoting equality and diversity at work including an underlying understanding of the impact unconscious bias can have.
Recent delegate comments have included –
“Very enjoyable, trainer made it interesting, I feel I’ve learnt a great deal.”
“I have a fuller understanding of how it plays out in society and its impact in the workplace.”
Recent articles on our blog....
We offer 5 tips for helping to develop healthy interactions at work in order to increase wellbeing and avoid co-rumination.Read More →
Included in our latest pick of external resources are details of a new Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the workplace code of practice and a guide on recruiting neurodiverse candidates.Read More →
Our purpose is to provide training and consultancy services to enhance resilience, health and wellbeing in the workplace.
Differentiation is one of the most strategic and tactical activities in which companies most constantly engage
It's natural to have questions about training and how it fits with your organisation. Our FAQs can help you find out more.
View case studies for some of the in-house training courses we have delivered to different types of organisations across the UK.