Resilient Skills for Public Sector Managers Leading Change
Local authorities and partners are being asked to increase their productivity by doing more with less funding. Councils face an unprecedented period of declining resources and growing demands for their services. New ways of delivering services, different relationships with partner organisations, a range of responsibilities without boundaries and tighter time-frames mean that those tasked with the management of the process will require a variety of resilience skills to see them through, e.g. the ability to recover quickly from setbacks and adversity.
Supporting Future Transformation Programmes
Many authorities are currently implementing future or organisational transformation programmes aimed at changing what they do and how they do it. The success of these programmes will be largely dependent on the ability of their managers to take the lead in looking at ways of delivering services differently and managing activity more efficiently. During sustained periods of this activity managers in these authorities need to become resilient in order to keep themselves and the services performing well. This training course shows managers how to develop resilient skills such as problem solving and adaptability that will contribute to the success of these programmes.
Underpinning New Leadership Skills for Managers
Redesigning processes, reducing staffing levels, outsourcing services, establishing new strategic partnerships are all examples of the leadership skills that local authority managers will need to successfully negotiate during this challenging period. A key aspect of this training course is to enable managers to build and expand on their own resilience skills and become effective role models when managing others.
Key benefits for managers attending the course:
- Understand that resilient attitudes and habits are skills that can be learned
- Improve the ability to understand and solve problems creatively and remain optimistic under pressure
- Regard setbacks and change as challenges that will offer opportunities and help managers to bounce back from adversity quicker
- An understanding of the importance of self-care during periods of high demands and pressure
- Increased flexibility with a stronger sense of being in control when faced with uncertainty
- Build strong supportive relationships with colleagues and their own teams
- Raise awareness of tools and exercises for improving each of the resilience skills
- Maintain performance and stamina and be able to think clearly and logically under pressure
- Ability to stay motivated and focused while using resilience strategies to maintain morale in others