A unique learning experience, suitable for anyone who seeks greater understanding and confidence to intervene with people at risk of suicide.
The Suicide First Aid through Understanding Suicide Intervention (SFAUSI) course, accredited by City and Guilds of London, teaches the theory and practice of suicide intervention skills which can be applied in any professional or personal setting. This virtual course gives learners the knowledge and tools to understand that suicide is one of the most preventable deaths and some basic skills can help someone with thoughts of suicide stay safe from their thoughts and stay alive. Most people who are considering suicide, do not, in fact want to end their lives - they just want the pain to stop. A death by suicide is a preventable death, and through awareness, communication and effective support, lives can be saved.
This training course is delivered by a highly experienced suicide first aid trainer in a safe and supportive ‘virtual classroom’ environment.
Who Is It For?
The course is for anyone who seeks greater understanding and confidence to intervene with people at risk of suicide. This includes, but is not restricted to multi-sector managers and practitioners including health, housing, social care, education, criminal justice; call centre operators; private, voluntary and public sector workers; and community groups or members. No previous experience or training is necessary. Participants will be asked to self-reflect and empathise with a person having thoughts of suicide. There is no expectation for participants to share personal experiences.
Methods of delivery
This is a highly interactive and emotionally engaging learning experience using tutor facilitated Socratic learning, mini-lectures, group work and audio-visual presentations. It is delivered over 6 hours which are split into several micro sessions with breaks throughout the day.
Two independent evaluations in 2016 and 2017 by Dr Paul Rogers demonstrated significant statistical change in 14 of 19 measures. Increased confidence and reduced anxiety in dealing with suicide, were among the leading outcomes.
City & Guilds of London have accredited this course. Attendance gives participants the CPD option to complete a workbook of tasks that are assessed against the set learning outcomes. There is an additional enrolment fee of £85 for this optional CPD option. Successful participants gain 6 NQF credit points at level 4.
Suicide First Aid through Understanding Suicide Intervention is comprised of 4 parts, each approximately 90 minutes duration.
- Introduction to the day; the programme; ourselves and suicide prevention
- Stigma, survivors of bereavement by suicide and the hidden toll
- Suicide thoughts and suicide behaviour
- Intention of behaviour versus outcome of behaviour
- Possible causes of suicide thoughts
- Suicide: The Ripple Effect
- Population-based approach to suicide prevention
- Partnership working
- Working with attitudes and values
- “I’m so glad you told me” audio visual
- Meeting the needs of a person who is thinking about suicide
- Suicide Safety Guide
- Step 1 - Recognising suicide and Asking about suicide
- Step 2 - Understanding options
- Step 3 - Safeguarding suicide
- Suicide - safety and self-care
- The risk assessment approach
- Suicide and suicide gestures
- Future learning
Trainer: Christine Clark
Over the last twenty years, Christine Clark has been working with organisations to deliver bespoke and accredited training courses in mental health awareness, workplace wellbeing, stress and resilience. Christine is an accredited Trainer for Mental Health First Aid, Livingworks safeTalk and Suicide First Aid training courses. She has received national and international recognition from Mental Health First Aid England and Livingworks Canada for her work in supporting organisations to apply a first-aid approach to both mental and physical wellbeing. In 2014 she was voted Exemplary Trainer of the House of Lords Mental Health First Aid Champion Awards.
Christine is passionate about sharing her knowledge in suicide first aid to enable others to intervene in a crisis and save lives. Her engaging and inclusive training style helps participants navigate the complex subject of suicide and learn how to respond in a crisis situation.
Here are some comments from Christine’s training:
“Excellent course and content that will change the way I consider issues and individuals within the workplace and life in general. Many Thanks!”
“Christine was brilliant! Very knowledgeable and obviously years of experience!”
“Amazing delivery of a tough subject, thank you Chris.”
“Christine was brilliant - extremely knowledgeable, had lots of examples of experience and was really engaging - I wanted to know more. Course has really helped me understand some of the behaviours of individuals in my team and has given me the confidence and resources to help and support them in future”
“Christine was excellent, great personality to deliver this type of course content.”
“Chris was very engaging throughout the course with examples, answering questions, totally approachable.”
“The course was eye-opening and totally changed my views on Mental Health. Thank You”
“Extremely informative experience. Useful for work/home/outside, everyday life. Would recommend to anyone for a better understanding of mental health and wellbeing.”
For over 20 years In Equilibrium have been delivering cutting edge training and consultancy to organisations throughout the UK. We specialise in practical, evidence-based training aimed at developing resilience, minimising the risk of stress and enhancing well-being in the workplace. Both our in-house and open courses are delivered by experienced trainers who are subject experts within their field and deliver their training with enthusiasm and sensitivity, a combination delegate feedback confirms is appreciated.
Contact us on 01383 324 122 or email us at [email protected]
Terms and Conditions
By booking an event with In Equilibrium you accept our Booking Terms and Conditions
- Payment Options Fees are subject to VAT where applicable, which applies to all delegates attending UK courses. Course fees must be paid in full at the time of booking. Courses will be charged at the price shown on the website at the time of booking. We reserve the right to change course fees without notice.
- Substitute delegates You can transfer a place on a course to a substitute delegate free of charge at any time, just let us know.
- Cancellations If you cancel 7 or more days before the event, we will provide a full refund of the training course fee, which excludes the Eventbrite booking fee, as this is non-refundable. No refunds are available for cancellations made less than 7 days before the event, or for no-shows. Cancellation charges apply for all cancellations including those due to illness. Cancellations must be received in writing via email to [email protected] and must contain the full booking details including organisation name, booking and delegate contact details.
- Changes to Services In the event of the course not going ahead for any reason, In Equilibrium will inform you as soon as possible and we will refund you immediately on cancellation. In Equilibrium will not be responsible for any consequential loss of expense incurred by the candidates.
- Joining Instructions Once your booking has been confirmed we will be in touch with specific joining instructions for the training course.
- For full terms and conditions please see terms and conditions page at http://www.in-equilibrium.co.uk/open-courses-terms-conditions/