Explore techniques to build resilience to help cope with the challenges of social work and protect your wellbeing
Our training courses are currently being delivered in a live, virtual, interactive format, in addition to onsite face-to-face training where appropriate. All of our training is facilitated by experienced subject experts.
Resilience is the ability to handle change, stressful working environments and high demands without becoming overwhelmed, stressed or burnt out. Training to develop personal resilience is beneficial for anyone who wants to improve their ability to cope with the challenges of work and respond more positively to adversity. Building resilience is particularly helpful for social workers who handle high caseloads and work with vulnerable adults and children, often in crisis situations.
This resilience training course has been specifically designed to focus on the issues facing social workers and social care front line workers. In addition to being delivered to experienced social work professionals, this training has been included in the ‘Step Up to Social Work’ programme for trainee social workers. During the course delegates build up a collection of tools and skills that will help them cope with stress, anxiety, relationship issues, social pressures, and difficult emotions like anger and fear.
Duration: This course is delivered virtually over 2 half-day sessions. Each session is 3 hours with a 30 minute break.
Format: Virtual, live, interactive session
Delegate numbers: 12
Please contact us for information regarding availability and how we can tailor this training to meet your organisation’s requirements. Specific course objectives can be discussed with the trainer, and the course content can be adapted to reflect the impact of COVID-19 on the wellbeing of the delegates.
- To learn skills to adapt and function well during a period of transformational change
- To feel confident using a wide range of tools to build resilience
- To recognise the important links between resilience, emotional needs and working remotely
- To understand that change and adversity often create opportunities
- Models of resilience
- Resilience is not all about DNA
Stress and pressure
- What stress is
- Difference between emotions and thoughts
- Identifying when pressure has become unhelpful stress
- Six rapid emotion regulation techniques
- Physical, psychological and behavioural responses to stress and their management
- Practical strategies to avoid the stress response and risk of burnout
- What these are along with what you can to do help meet these, including the need for security, control, social connection and stretch
- Importance of focusing on what we can, rather than can’t control or influence
- Neuroplasticity and its role in building resilience
- Cognitive bias
- What it takes to build a can-do, optimistic attitude
- The dangers of rumination and how to avoid it
- Active and avoidant coping strategies
- Growth Mindset and how to build this
- Understanding the value of supporting and helping others
- How focusing outside of the self, caring and giving, create resilience
Self-care and boundaries
- Importance of self-care and compassion
- Boundary setting to support home working
- Understanding the link between mind and body
- Getting the basics right: exercise, sleep, nutrition, connection, daylight and rest
Personality and resilience
- What drives our behaviours and those of others
- What stresses people out given their behaviour preferences
- Adapting and connecting skills to accommodate other’s preferences
Building a Resilience Development Plan
- Review the online resilience resources and how to access them for ongoing development
- Delegates will be encouraged to stay in touch with, and support each following this course
Testimonials for the Resilience Skills Training for Social Workers
Delegate comments from the resilience skills training delivered as part of the 'Step Up to Social Work' programme:
"It will enable me to be the best I can be at my job and benefit me from having more confidence in
helping others in times of crisis."
"This training has developed my understanding of and given me skills to build my own resilience. It
had also given me skills to put in to practice with service users."
"The resilience framework was great – I will use it in future direct work with my families. I also enjoyed the group break out rooms."
"Stress management and self care because this was useful to me. I was more self aware and able to
recognise how I could be proactive in managing myself. I could then share this learning with others."
"The training will help me to support young people adapt to stressful situations."
"This course was engaging using a good range of large group and small group activities."
"I really enjoyed it. It was really interactive despite being delivered virtually and shows how virtual learning can be done well."
Related Training Courses
After more than 35 years’ research, the benefits of developing a growth mindset, both for individuals and organisations, are more fully understood. Our one-day course is suitable for all and covers practical ways individuals can cultivate a growth mindset in both themselves and others.
Find out more
Please get in touch with us if you have any questions.
We are always happy to talk about our courses and help you to work out the best match for your requirements.
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
"The quality of the training has been fantastic and our employees are really engaging with the trainer and getting something out of it. Also In Equilibrium makes the whole process very easy to arrange."
"We wanted to provide a course that taught useful and practical coping strategies that our members could put into place straight away. In Equilibrium’s experience showed us that they could provide this, and they tailored the course perfectly."
"In-Equilibrium recently presented Mental Health Awareness to Managers in all of our area offices. The training was really well received and all of the trainers were praised for their in-depth knowledge and understanding."
"The training was very well received by staff who now all intend to implement the session’s practical tips and techniques into their existing roles. A large proportion of the staff rated the facilitator and their delivery as excellent and their only recommendation was for a further and longer session!"
Recent articles on our blog....
Our purpose is to provide training and consultancy services to enhance resilience, health and wellbeing in the workplace.
Differentiation is one of the most strategic and tactical activities in which companies most constantly engage
It's natural to have questions about training and how it fits with your organisation. Our FAQs can help you find out more.
View case studies for some of the in-house training courses we have delivered to different types of organisations across the UK.