Delegates will learn skills to have a conversation with someone who may be thinking about suicide and signpost them to appropriate help, using a first aid approach
With increasing cases of death by suicide across the UK, it is important that we learn how to spot the signs that someone may be considering dying by suicide and feel confident that we can speak to them openly about the subject to signpost them towards help which could save their life. Most people who are considering suicide, do not in fact want to end their lives - they just want the pain to stop. Through raised awareness, good communication and effective support, lives can be saved.
This course aims to equip delegates with the skills to spot the early signs that someone may be struggling and build their confidence to apply a ‘first aid approach’ to avoid a crisis.
A highly experienced suicide first aid trainer delivers this training course in a safe and supportive ‘virtual classroom’ environment. Delegates do not require any previous experience or training. During the course, they will be asked to self-reflect and empathise with a person having thoughts of suicide.
The course is suitable for anyone looking to raise their awareness of suicide intervention. Delegates will learn skills which can be applied in any professional or personal setting.
- Understand suicide behaviour, impact and the ‘ripple effect’
- Learn what is meant by a ‘first aid approach’ to suicide prevention
- Appreciate the complex factors which contribute to thoughts of suicide
- Improve questioning and listening skills and gain the confidence to discuss intentions and options openly
- Learn to recognise the signs that someone may be at risk of suicide
- Know what next steps to take to keep someone safe – informal and formal interventions
- Consider self-care when helping others in crisis
SFA Lite is comprised of 2 parts, each 90 minutes duration, followed by a further 30 minutes for group discussion/questions.
Part 1 – 90 minutes
- Introduction to the session; programme, ourselves and suicide prevention
- Stigma and survivors of bereavement by suicide and the Hidden Toll
- Suicide thoughts and suicide behaviour
- Intention of behaviour versus outcome of behaviour
- Possible causes of suicide thoughts
- Suicide – the ripple effect
- ‘I’m really glad you told me’ audio visual Break
Part 2 – 90 minutes
- Meeting the needs of a person who is thinking about suicide
- Suicide Safety Guide
- Recognising and asking about suicide
- Referring a person onto suicide first aiders
Delegates will receive an electronic copy of the course manual in advance of the training and a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.
Trainer: Christine Clark
Over the last twenty years, Christine Clark has been working with organisations to deliver bespoke and accredited training courses in mental health awareness, workplace wellbeing, stress and resilience. Christine is an accredited Trainer for Mental Health First Aid, Livingworks safeTalk and Suicide First Aid training courses. She has received national and international recognition from Mental Health First Aid England and Livingworks Canada for her work in supporting organisations to apply a first aid approach to both mental and physical wellbeing. In 2014 she was voted Exemplary Trainer of the House of Lords Mental Health First Aid Champion Awards.
Christine is passionate about sharing her knowledge in suicide first aid to enable others to intervene in a crisis and save lives. Her engaging and inclusive training style helps participants navigate the complex subject of suicide and learn how to respond in a crisis situation.
Here are some comments from Christine’s training:
“Excellent course and content that will change the way I consider issues and individuals within the workplace and life in general. Many Thanks!”
“Christine was brilliant! Very knowledgeable and obviously years of experience!”
“Amazing delivery of a tough subject, thank you Chris.”
“Christine was brilliant - extremely knowledgeable, had lots of examples of experience and was really engaging - I wanted to know more. Course has really helped me understand some of the behaviours of individuals in my team and has given me the confidence and resources to help and support them in future”
“Christine was excellent, great personality to deliver this type of course content.”
“Chris was very engaging throughout the course with examples, answering questions, totally approachable.”
“The course was eye opening and totally changed my views on Mental Health. Thank You”
“Extremely informative experience. Useful for work/home/outside, everyday life. Would recommend to anyone for a better understanding of mental health and wellbeing.”
For over 20 years In Equilibrium have been delivering cutting edge training and consultancy to organisations throughout the UK. We specialise in practical, evidence-based training aimed at developing resilience, minimising the risk of stress and enhancing well-being in the workplace. Both our in-house and open courses are delivered by experienced trainers who are subject experts within their field and deliver their training with enthusiasm and sensitivity, a combination delegate feedback confirms is appreciated.
Contact us on 01383 324 122 or email us at [email protected]
Terms and Conditions
By booking an event with In Equilibrium you accept our Booking Terms and Conditions
- Payment Options Fees are subject to VAT where applicable, which applies to all delegates attending UK courses. Course fees must be paid in full at the time of booking. Courses will be charged at the price shown on the website at the time of booking. We reserve the right to change course fees without notice.
- Substitute delegates You can transfer a place on a course to a substitute delegate free of charge at any time, just let us know.
- Cancellations If you cancel 7 or more days before the event, we will provide a full refund of the training course fee, which excludes the Eventbrite booking fee, as this is non-refundable. No refunds are available for cancellations made less than 7 days before the event, or for no-shows. Cancellation charges apply for all cancellations including those due to illness. Cancellations must be received in writing via email to [email protected] and must contain the full booking details including organisation name, booking and delegate contact details.
- Changes to Services In the event of the course not going ahead for any reason, In Equilibrium will inform you as soon as possible and we will refund you immediately on cancellation. In Equilibrium will not be responsible for any consequential loss of expense incurred by the candidates.
- Joining Instructions Once your booking has been confirmed we will be in touch with specific joining instructions for the training course.
- For full terms and conditions please see terms and conditions page at http://www.in-equilibrium.co.uk/open-courses-terms-conditions/