Bullying in the Workplace: Be Aware!
½ Day Course
To provide delegates with an introduction to the subject of bullying in the workplace. Enable them to recognise harassment and bullying at work and the actions they should take to stop it and prevent its recurrence.
The aim of this course is to raise awareness of what bullying and harassment is and when it is taking place. It also covers the responsibilities of all those involved together with actions which should be taken if you believe you are being bullied or harassed.
The training is delivered in a relaxed, informal and flexible manner with plenty of opportunity for questions and discussion. The learning process is very interactive with exercises designed to stimulate interest and learning.
- Course Duration: Half-day course
- Course Capacity: 12 delegates max (for optimum benefit)
- Availability: All our courses are delivered in-house throughout the UK and Europe
- Customisation: The content can be tailored to meet an organisation’s individual requirements
Who Is It For?
Our Bullying in the Workplace – Be Aware! training is designed to be suitable for every employee in an organisation.
There is an increasing awareness of the effect bullying and harassment can have on individual, team and organisational welfare. The CIPD has estimated that over 50% of stress cases at work involve bullying, and the increasing costs of compensation can be staggering.
High-profile successful cases such as ‘Green v Deutsche Bank’ and ‘Marjowski v Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Health Trust’ underline the potential human and financial costs for any organisation.
- Understand the differences between bullying and harassment
- Review of the legal requirements on employers
- How to recognise the different forms of bullying and harassment
- Appreciate the short and long term effects bullying can have on the individual
- An understanding of the roles and responsibilities of those involved in a bullying or harassment situation
- Practical actions and strategies you should take if you believe you are being bullied or harassed
- What we mean by Bullying and Harassment in the workplace
- The DVD ‘Say no to bullying’ shows three case studies to enable recognition of the types of different behaviours
- Looking at examples: overt and covert.
- But what about teasing and workplace incivility…?
- What allows bullying behaviour to develop and thrive?
- Diagnosing your organisation’s position on bullying
- Drawing the line: strong management vs bullying
The Individual: is there ‘a type’?
- What do we know about the psychology of the perpetrator and the target?
- How do victims react and why don’t they speak out?
- What is the clinical impact of bullying on individuals?
The law and the bottom line
- The legal implications for organisations
- Evolving legislation
- The position regarding individual responsibility and liability
- Individual responsibilities
- Management responsibility
- General steps individuals can take
Dealing with complaints
- Levels of intervention
- What determines your approach to a problem?
- Exploring ways of dealing informally with difficult situations
- Using identified situations to give individuals the opportunity to practise dealing informally with situations in a safe environment
- Understanding the full implications of using the formal complaint route
A culture of respect
- Exploring ways of creating a healthy culture
Optional Follow-up emails
To help embed the knowledge learned on the day we can provide delegates with follow-up emails revisiting the areas covered on the training course and signposting where to find further information and resources. The final email can include a brief questionnaire to evaluate the effectiveness of the training course.
Discuss aspects of this course with us
If you would like to discuss any aspect of this training course please contact Alastair Taylor on Tel: 0131 476 5027 or e-mail: [email protected]
- Bullying in the Workplace: Training for Managers
- Assertive Communication at Work
- Dealing with Difficult Behaviours
What people say about In Equilibrium
“A really engaging and thought-provoking session, which enabled us to look not only at our individual resilience and how we could boost it, but also at how our collective styles have been shaped by the organisational culture.”
“Excellent presentation throughout. Delivered in clear manner and not wrapped up in ‘techno’ talk”
“Provided space to reflect on how topics covered manifest themselves in the workplace”