Mentoring Skills in the Workplace
Mentoring is about transferring information, competence, and experience to mentees, so that they can make good use of this, and build their confidence accordingly.
As a mentor, you are there to encourage, nurture, and provide support, because you’ve already “walked the path” of the mentee. You need to be the sort of person who wants others to succeed, and have or can develop the skills needed to support them.
- Course Duration: 1-day course
- Course Capacity: 12 delegates max (for optimum benefit)
- Availability: All our courses are delivered in-house throughout the UK and Europe
- Customisation: The content can be tailored to meet an organisation’s individual requirements
Who Is It For?
Mentoring Skills in the Workplace has been designed for those considering taking on a mentoring role for the first time or developing their existing skills.
This practical one-day course will give you the opportunity to explore the role of a mentor and practice the skills necessary to mentor successfully. You’ll get to practise interactive role-play sessions and action planning, to better understand what mentoring is, how it differs from coaching and other forms of people development, to establish and manage the mentoring relationship and adopt a more ‘hands-off’ empowering style when developing other people.
At the end of the session, you will be able to:
- Define mentoring and understand the difference between mentoring, coaching and counselling.
- Contract for an effective mentoring relationship
- Identify a range of mentoring styles
- Use effective questioning and listening skills
- Use a mentoring model to set goals and identify actions
- Apply mentoring techniques to effectively develop mentees
- Mentoring, coaching and counselling
- Contracting and confidentiality
- Emotional intelligence
- Different mentoring styles and when to use them
- The learning styles of your mentee
- Listening to your mentee
- Powerful questioning
- Mentoring models
- Role play – applying mentoring techniques
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the session
Discuss aspects of this course with us
If you would like to discuss any aspect of this training course please contact Alastair Taylor on Tel: 0845 548 8054 or e-mail: [email protected]