This training course increases awareness of bullying and harassment and gives managers the opportunity to explore practical actions and share best practice to identify, address and prevent inappropriate behaviour in the workplace.
There is increasing awareness of the effect bullying and harassment can have on individual, team and organisational welfare. The CIPD has estimated that over 50% of stress cases at work involve bullying, and the increasing costs of compensation can be staggering.
The HSE Stress Management Standards specifically highlight managers’ responsibilities in creating a workplace which is free from bullying and harassment. Our training in tackling bullying gives managers the knowledge and confidence to identify and manage inappropriate behaviour, and increase awareness to work towards a zero-tolerance approach to all forms of bullying at work.
- Understand the differences and similarities in bullying and harassment
- Learn how to recognize signs of overt and particularly covert bullying
- Go behind the stereotypes and understand more of the psychology of the bully and the victim
- Appreciate the short and long term effects bullying could have on the victim and the organisation
- Recognise the organisational factors which might perpetuate a bullying culture within the organisation
- Understand how setting expectations, role modelling and gaining trust can reduce the risk of bullying
- Appreciate the evolving legal context
- Able to put in place good practice in responding to allegations: investigating fairly; supporting parties; resolving complaints quickly and effectively and managing the outcomes.
Who Is It For?
Bullying in the workplace training can be delivered to managers at all levels of an organisation. The training can be tailored to your objectives and reflect your existing policies.
The course content and capacity can be customised for individuality and to ensure organisations’ specific learning criteria are met. Consultancy to tackle bullying in the workplace is also an option either as a standalone service or in conjunction with training.
Training is delivered in a relaxed, supportive and flexible manner and includes exercises designed to stimulate interest. Delegates are encouraged to share ideas and experiences, creating valuable, relevant examples for discussion.
- What we mean by Bullying and Harassment in the workplace?
- What are the determining features?
- Looking at examples: overt and covert bullying
- But what about teasing and banter…?
- Exploring sensitivities
- What allows bullying behaviour to develop and thrive?
- Your organisation’s position on bullying in the workplace
- There’s a fine line: strong management or bullying?
- Model of multifactors in bullying at work
The Individual: is there ‘a bullying type’?
- What do we know about the psychology of the perpetrator and the target?
- How do victims react and why don’t they speak out?
- What is the clinical impact of bullying on individuals?
The law and the bottom line
- The legal implications for organisations
- Evolving legislation
- The position regarding individual responsibility and liability
- Some key cases
The manager’s role
- What are the early warning signs which managers should be alert to?
- The manager as a role model and the effect of style and behaviour
- If bullying is suspected or observed, what is the manager’s responsibility?
Dealing with complaints
- Levels of intervention
- What determines your approach to a problem?
- Exploring ways of dealing informally with difficult situations
- Investigation skills to deal with complaints
- Opportunity to practise dealing informally with situations in a safe environment
A culture of respect
- Exploring ways of creating a healthy culture
- Examples of healthy management
Delegate Comments following the Bullying in the Workplace: Training for Managers course
”When I came onto the course I was 100% I was not a bully but now looking at things differently, sometimes possibly I am”
“Breaking down Bullying, Harassment and Victimisation makes you reflect on what you see and do”
“I will be able to address B&H in a more confident way and prepare more for any difficult conversations.”
“The trainer, full of knowledge. Easy to listen to, calming presence. There was lots of information about how to deal with bullying and harassment.”
Related Training Courses
Sexual harassment can have a range of serious physical and psychological impacts for those who experience it. This course both equips those who are harassed with the confidence to speak out and disarms those who perpetrate the harassment by making them aware of inappropriate behaviours.
Find out more
Please get in touch with us if you have any questions.
We are always happy to talk about our courses and help you to work out the best match for your requirements.
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
"The quality of the training has been fantastic and our employees are really engaging with the trainer and getting something out of it. Also In Equilibrium makes the whole process very easy to arrange."
"We wanted to provide a course that taught useful and practical coping strategies that our members could put into place straight away. In Equilibrium’s experience showed us that they could provide this, and they tailored the course perfectly."
"In-Equilibrium recently presented Mental Health Awareness to Managers in all of our area offices. The training was really well received and all of the trainers were praised for their in-depth knowledge and understanding."
"The training was very well received by staff who now all intend to implement the session’s practical tips and techniques into their existing roles. A large proportion of the staff rated the facilitator and their delivery as excellent and their only recommendation was for a further and longer session!"
Recent articles on our blog....
Our purpose is to provide training and consultancy services to enhance resilience, health and wellbeing in the workplace.
Differentiation is one of the most strategic and tactical activities in which companies most constantly engage
It's natural to have questions about training and how it fits with your organisation. Our FAQs can help you find out more.
View case studies for some of the in-house training courses we have delivered to different types of organisations across the UK.