Attending this Adult MHFA One Day mental health awareness and skills course qualifies delegates as adult Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Champions.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the help offered to a person developing a mental health issue, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health issue or in a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional help is received or until the crisis appears to have passed.
This Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England 1-day Champions course provides delegates with an understanding of common mental health issues; knowledge and confidence to advocate for mental health awareness; ability to spot signs of mental ill health and skills to support positive wellbeing.
The MHFA Champions course is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan and includes a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities. Examples of facilitated activities include identifying sources of workplace stress and factors that influence mental health; case studies to understand the mental health continuum and non-judgemental listening exercises.
This course is facilitated by an accredited MHFA England Trainer, with a wealth of experience, who will create a safe and inclusive learning environment for the delegates to discuss sensitive issues with support and understanding.
- Duration: 1 day face to face training or, in the virtual format or 2 x half-day virtual sessions.
- Capacity: Numbers are limited to 12-16 people per course, so that the trainer can keep delegates safe and supported while they learn. Maximum numbers are dependent on the format of the course delivery.
Who Is It For?
The MHFA Champions training course, also known as the Adult MHFA One Day course, is suitable for anyone in the workplace. Enlightened employers are now highlighting both physical and mental health first aiders in the same way.
MHFA Champions in the workplace will help to:
- Increase knowledge and confidence to apply a first aid approach for the most common mental health issues.
- Develop understanding of how to build a mentally healthy workplace, challenge stigma and support positive wellbeing.
- Apply the MHFA Action Plan, (ALGEE), which is based on approaching someone struggling; listening non-judgementally; giving support and encouraging the person to seek professional help, if appropriate.
- Demonstrate that the organisation is committed to supporting mental health in the workplace and deliver on their wellbeing strategy.
- Provide support alongside the MHFAider® (who have completed the 2-day course).
- Overview of Mental Health First Aid
- Mental health and stress in the workplace
- Stigma and discrimination
- Anxiety disorders
- Other mental health issues (eating disorders, self-harm, psychosis)
- Early warning signs of mental ill-health
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- Applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Action 1: Approach the person, assess and assist with any crisis
- Action 2: Listen and communicate non-judgementally
- Action 3: Give support and information
- Action 4: Encourage the person to get appropriate professional help
- Action 5: Encourage other supports
- Building a mentally healthy workplace
- Action planning for using MHFA
Everyone who completes the course receives an MHFA Champions workbook and comprehensive manual for future reference, along with a certificate of attendance to say they are an MHFA Champion. MHFA Champions are encouraged to access the resources on the MHFA England website for further personal development.
Delegate comments for the MHFA Champions course:
"Really great course. Very thought provoking and provides some great tools that I can help others (and myself) in the future. The statistics of mental illness really brought home how many people are suffering and need someone to listen; I feel more confident now of being that person who could do that."
“Superb 1-day Champion course which has increased my awareness and confidence in my role as Champion. First rate delivery ...”
“Very knowledgeable, engaging and enthusiastic instructor. Clearly passionate about subject and full of helpful tips and info. Thank you.”
"This was an excellent, well run course. I am really pleased that I have been able to attend and feel that it will help me in the future to better understand the signs that someone is struggling with their mental health."
"Excellent course which increased my confidence to deal with mental health issues."
"As well as providing a structure to allow me to support colleagues and friends confidently the course exploded a few personal myths. This is important in improving my understanding of issues related to mental health."
Related Training Courses
As basic training for all in mental health awareness is considered good practice, this course is suitable for anyone working in a team environment. Focusing on the most common mental health problems, the training includes recognising signs and symptoms and advice on practical strategies to support others.
As managers play a key role in supporting their team members’ physical and mental health, this 1-day course endorses the importance of workplace mental health and equips managers with the basic knowledge essential to supporting a mental health diagnosis.
Enlightened employers are now highlighting first aiders for both physical and mental health in the same way. This course is for individuals who would like to become an MHFAider® to gain the knowledge and skills to spot signs of people experiencing poor mental health, be confident to start a conversation and signpost a person to appropriate support.
Find out more
Please get in touch with us if you have any questions.
We are always happy to talk about our courses and help you to work out the best match for your requirements.
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
"The quality of the training has been fantastic and our employees are really engaging with the trainer and getting something out of it. Also In Equilibrium makes the whole process very easy to arrange."
"We wanted to provide a course that taught useful and practical coping strategies that our members could put into place straight away. In Equilibrium’s experience showed us that they could provide this, and they tailored the course perfectly."
"In-Equilibrium recently presented Mental Health Awareness to Managers in all of our area offices. The training was really well received and all of the trainers were praised for their in-depth knowledge and understanding."
"The training was very well received by staff who now all intend to implement the session’s practical tips and techniques into their existing roles. A large proportion of the staff rated the facilitator and their delivery as excellent and their only recommendation was for a further and longer session!"
Recent articles on our blog....
Our purpose is to provide training and consultancy services to enhance resilience, health and wellbeing in the workplace.
Differentiation is one of the most strategic and tactical activities in which companies most constantly engage
It's natural to have questions about training and how it fits with your organisation. Our FAQs can help you find out more.
View case studies for some of the in-house training courses we have delivered to different types of organisations across the UK.