This training equips participants with the skills to learn to handle difficult behaviours positively and effectively.
This training provides delegates with insights into the underlying root causes and triggers of someone’s difficult behaviour. The course also provides an awareness of their own behaviour drivers and triggers, and how they impact on the situation.
Handling difficult behaviours training can be delivered in two different formats, as detailed below. Whilst the general principles involved are the same we recommend that separate training courses are used for each of the following groups.
Handling difficult behaviours in customers, or members of the public
Dealing with difficult behaviours in customers can be challenging. If the situation is handled well, this can improve customer service and relationships which will, in turn, create further business opportunities. If those in the front line have strong personal boundaries their own health and well-being will also be protected.
Handling difficult behaviours in people you work with regularly
This could be a team member, a colleague, or someone in a more senior role. Difficult behaviour can be detrimental to an employee’s motivation and productivity in the workplace, as well as inhibiting the performance of others. When difficult behaviours are not managed effectively a lack of co-operation, tension, stress and poor performance can result.
- Understand why some situations and behaviours are difficult to handle
- Gain a greater understanding of our own role in the difficult behaviour dynamic and and how we can make a positive impact
- Learn to look at situations with more objectivity and detachment and to deal with them calmly
- Increase adaptability, flexibility and confidence and acquire a stronger sense of being in control
- Distinguish between what you can control and what you can’t
- Learn strategies to effectively respond to and manage difficult or challenging behaviours 'in the moment'
- Build confidence to initiate and manage a conversation about challenging behaviours, ensuring key issues are addressed
Who Is It For?
Handling Difficult Behaviours training is suitable for anyone wishing to refresh their skills in workplace communication, including team leaders, managers and supervisors.
The course content and capacity can be customised for individuality and to ensure organisations’ specific learning criteria are met. Consultancy to handle difficult behaviours is also an option either as a standalone service or in conjunction with training.
Indicative Course Content
Defining the issue
- Moving from looking at the person to the behaviour
- Highlighting which types of behaviour we personally find difficult to deal with
Understanding the dynamics
- Looking at our own behaviour and its impact on the situation
- Understanding how communication can break down and how we can ensure the meaning behind our message is received as intended
- Developing assertive language
- The value of coaching skills – active listening and effective questioning to get to the root of the issue
- Recognising the signals that aggressive behaviour may be about to increase and being armed with strategies to quickly diffuse the situation
- Tools to maintain rapport during disagreements and conflicts: how to express your opinions in a way that won’t escalate the situation
- When to draw the line: handling abusive and unacceptable behaviour
- Devise a personal action plan to take back to the workplace
Testimonials for the Handling Difficult Behaviours course:
"Enjoyable, interesting and engaging. A collaborative experience in learning how others deal with conflicting situations."
“I feel that I could speak to difficult individuals with confidence now.”
"I remained fully engaged throughout the course. A very relaxed atmosphere was generated by the Trainer. Overall experience was just great, really enjoyed and as a colleague has identified previously, it pushed all my happy buttons. Thank you."
"I will enjoy having further fruitful conversations and hopefully assist people in developing, raising their awareness of themselves and others, to generate improved working environments. Hopefully, it may even spread into their private lives so they are enriched as a whole."
"Great group to work with, the Trainer was great and there are a number of things to read up on and reflect on."
Related Training Courses
Sexual harassment can have a range of serious physical and psychological impacts for those who experience it. This course both equips those who are harassed with the confidence to speak out and disarms those who perpetrate the harassment by making them aware of inappropriate behaviours.
Find out more
Please get in touch with us if you have any questions.
We are always happy to talk about our courses and help you to work out the best match for your requirements.
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
"The quality of the training has been fantastic and our employees are really engaging with the trainer and getting something out of it. Also In Equilibrium makes the whole process very easy to arrange."
"We wanted to provide a course that taught useful and practical coping strategies that our members could put into place straight away. In Equilibrium’s experience showed us that they could provide this, and they tailored the course perfectly."
"In-Equilibrium recently presented Mental Health Awareness to Managers in all of our area offices. The training was really well received and all of the trainers were praised for their in-depth knowledge and understanding."
"The training was very well received by staff who now all intend to implement the session’s practical tips and techniques into their existing roles. A large proportion of the staff rated the facilitator and their delivery as excellent and their only recommendation was for a further and longer session!"
Recent articles on our blog....
Our purpose is to provide training and consultancy services to enhance resilience, health and wellbeing in the workplace.
Differentiation is one of the most strategic and tactical activities in which companies most constantly engage
It's natural to have questions about training and how it fits with your organisation. Our FAQs can help you find out more.
View case studies for some of the in-house training courses we have delivered to different types of organisations across the UK.