Mental Health Awareness Training for all Employees
The objectives of this training are:
- To provide the knowledge required to more effectively support someone with a suspected or diagnosed mental health condition
- To raise understanding of coping methods when a team member is displaying some of the challenging behaviours associated with the most common mental health conditions
Throughout the training course delegates focus on the most common mental health disorders. In addition to learning how to recognise signs and symptoms, they gain advice on practical strategies to support team members and colleagues. This training course also raises awareness of the way stress impacts on mental health. The relevance and requirements of the Equality Act 2010 are summarised within the course.
Training is delivered in a relaxed and flexible manner with plenty of opportunity for questions and discussion. Practical exercises will be used to illustrate the challenges those with a mental health condition regularly face in the workplace.
- Course Duration: 1-day course
- Capacity: 12 delegates max (for optimum benefit)
- Availability: All our courses are delivered in-house throughout the UK and Europe
- Customisation: The content can be tailored to meet an organisation’s individual requirements
Who Is It For?
Mental Health Awareness for all Employees is suitable for anyone working within a team environment.
There tends to be great variation in the level of awareness of mental health issues within workplaces. A workplace that is positive about mental health supports the wellbeing of all employees, as well as encouraging openness about mental health problems. Basic training for everyone is good practice. Many organisations lose the skills and experience of many capable employees who suffer in silence and feel they have no choice but to choose between a deterioration of their mental health or leaving their employment.
- Understand the stigma that surrounds mental health in the workplace
- Increase delegate’s awareness of their own attitudes to mental health and illness
- Improve understanding of the impact of stress on mental health in the workplace
- Recognise some of the most common signs and symptoms of mental health conditions
- Acquire the confidence to sensitively open a dialogue with clients or colleagues who may be experiencing mental health problems
- Ability to intervene in a practical way to support someone with a mental health condition
- Understand the legal requirement within the Equality Act 2010
Raising Awareness of Stress and Mental Health Conditions
- What is Pressure? What is Stress?
- The effect stress has on the brain and the body (stress response)
- Signs and symptoms of acute, chronic stress and burnout
Types of Mental Health Illnesses and Conditions
The following conditions are discussed:
- Major depressive episode
- Generalised anxiety disorders
- Psychosis (Schizophrenia)
- Bi-polar affective disorder
- Asperger syndrome
Delegates will focus on:
- An overview of the specific condition
- Common signs and symptoms
- Causes; possible interventions/medication
- Helpful hints when supporting a person with the condition (case studies, scenarios)
- Managing mental health emergencies
Mental Health and the Law
This section summarises the main areas of legislation and the impact on businesses, including the implications of the Equality Act 2010 and the duty to make reasonable adjustments in the workplace
Key skills and techniques for supporting mental health related issues
Practical solutions which can be implemented and advice on how to hold conversations with people suffering from a mental health condition
Personal Action Planning
Optional Follow-up emails
To help embed the knowledge learned on the day we can provide delegates with follow-up emails revisiting the areas covered on the training course and signposting where to find further information and resources. The final email can include a brief questionnaire to evaluate the effectiveness of the training course.
Discuss aspects of this course with us
If you would like to discuss any aspect of this training course please contact Alastair Taylor on Tel: 0845 548 8054 or e-mail: [email protected]
- Mental Health Awareness Training for Managers
- Mental Health First Aid LITE
- Adult Mental Health First Aid Course
- ASIST Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
What people say about In Equilibrium
“A subject that affects so many people at some stage in their life could be helped/assisted with this training. Helping people to be aware of individuals suffering with mental health, talking about it and HOW to assist the individual and team working with mental health.”
“Everything that was spoken about and taught was executed very well and the handouts are brilliant.”
“It was a well thought out and delivered course. The trainer was enthusiastic and knowledgeable but not preachy.”