In Equilibrium's quarterly newsletter - Late Summer 2021
We hope our latest newsletter will bring some late summer rejuvenation!
Welcome to our late summer newsletter which includes:
- An account which highlights why one-off Unconscious Bias training for staff isn't enough to change behaviour in the long-term.
- Links to our recent blog articles which include the topics of kindness in the workplace and the right to disconnect.
- In a new Ask the Expert video format, trainer Dot Gourlay explains the value of pressure profiling to maximise individual and team wellbeing.
- Some tips to help stop the recurring cycle of rumination and overthinking.
- Links to helpful wellbeing in the workplace external resources for managers and staff.
- We end with a bit of light relief and some reading we found enlightening and inspirational.
The importance of mindset to unconscious bias training engagement
A recently published post highlights the part mindset plays in unconscious bias training engagement.
The post includes content from trainer Dr Karla Benske following her recent positive experience facilitating a series of unconscious bias workshops.
It emphasises why training needs to be a part of an organisation's overall strategy and should not be expected to be a solution in itself.
New Telephone Number
We've recently updated our contact details. All our email addresses remain the same but you can find our new telephone number and address on our contact form or at the foot of this post.
Recent articles added to our blog
- The right to disconnect and tips for the work/life boundary
- Loneliness is not just a personal issue
- The science of wellbeing: a short, live virtual course
- Take 10 to settle and calm your mind
- Kindness and its role in mental health in the workplace
- Returning to work: Anxiety Management and Agoraphobia - a live, virtual course
Tips to help stop the recurring cycle of rumination
Following a brief definition and explanation of the cycle of rumination, we suggest 5 practical tips to help break the habit of ruminating and overthinking.
Ask The Expert
In a change to our Ask the Expert Q&A feature, trainer and consultant Dot Gourlay turns to a 5-minute video format to help address a current team scenario by explaining the value of pressure profiling.
Discovering that all may not have been as it seemed amongst the bookcase backdrops over recent months, sparked a less than flattering memory from Amanda's youth when all was not as it seemed either!
• Sector specific toolkits to help prevent stress from the HSE
• An analysis into the results of two significant Icelandic trials for a shorter working week
• Guidance on hybrid working from ACAS
• LGBTQI+ inclusivity in your organisation - a toolkit from the charity Mental Health at Work
• sources of support and guidance for preventing sexual harassment in the workplace from the Equality and Human Rights Commission
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.”
Rumi, Persian Poet
(1207 – 1273)
“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking.
It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”
Albert Einstein, German-born Theoretical Physicist (1879 – 1955)
Dates for the diary
Friday 10 September
World Suicide Prevention Day
This year’s theme is Creating Hope through Action
Find details about how you can take part here.
Sunday 10 October
World Mental Health Day
This year’s theme is Mental Health in an Unequal World
The Mental Health Foundation have various downloads to support the campaign here.
Other short reads which may be of interest
• A preventative approach to workplace stress and staff burnout
• Build resilience and renewal to address your stress
• Creating the conditions for thriving at work in small businesses
• How leaders get through tough times: Six strategies for building resilience
• The pandemic did not affect mental health the way you think
• When and how to respond to micro-aggressions
... and finally ...
We’ve been enjoying a series about people pursuing their passions in later life; whether that be indulging in your love of reading by opening a small bookshop, finding a new way to express your emotions as a busker, or getting an insight into how others see you by becoming a life model. If you fancy getting some ideas, or indeed sharing your own story, the series is available here.
Thank you for taking the time to read our newsletter. We are always delighted to hear from our readers, so if you would like to share your comments or suggestions with us, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And if you would like future editions of our quarterly workplace wellbeing newsletter to be sent directly to your inbox, you can sign up here.
Recent editions of our quarterly newsletter ....
Our purpose is to provide training and consultancy services to enhance resilience, health and wellbeing in the workplace.
Differentiation is one of the most strategic and tactical activities in which companies most constantly engage
It's natural to have questions about training and how it fits with your organisation. Our FAQs can help you find out more.
View case studies for some of the in-house training courses we have delivered to different types of organisations across the UK.